Please read guidelines carefully to ensure a smooth submission process.
2013 will be the last year Pirene’s Fountain will publish:
A Spring/Summer issue in April (Reading period February)
A Fall/Winter issue in October (Reading period September).
Starting 2014, we will become an annual print/online journal and be part of Glass Lyre Press!
Submissions open May 1st for the October 2013 issue. Please send us poems involving anti-terrorism themes.
Submission Process for poetry:
Send submissions to the PF Editing Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
No postal submissions will be accepted.
Please paste 3 – 8 poems directly in the body of an email. We require a 50-100 word bio note in third person, suitable for inclusion with your work. (If your work requires special formatting, please send an attached Word/PDF document also, so we can check for accuracy)
Poetry published previously in a literary journal or book is considered with publication credits and dates, but preference is given to unpublished work. If poetry is simultaneously submitted to other publications, please advise us if/when accepted.
Every submission is carefully considered and reviewed by our panel of editors. There are a variety of factors involved in the selection process; key among them is putting together a balanced issue reflecting diverse subjects and styles from poets of different skill levels.
Please understand that we can only accept a limited number of poems for publication. Our inability to use your work does not reflect on the quality of your submission. Even if we cannot use your work for an up-coming issue, we encourage you to send a new submission which we may use for a subsequent issue.
- All genres of poetry are accepted with no restrictions on length, style or form; however, free verse and shorter, more varied pieces are preferred.
- Creativity, imagination, and original use of language is encouraged, with a preference for lyrical and richly-imaged verse, and/or poems with an emotional focal point and narrative strength. We particularly enjoy poets who demonstrate a wide range in their body of work. Rhymed/metered pieces must sustain the pattern throughout, and have more to offer besides technical mastery.
- Nothing obscene, pornographic, or discriminatory in nature will be accepted. We do not consider specific religious or political themes, either.
- Lines from other writings or lyrics should be in quotation marks and credit given below the poem. Pirene's maintains zero-tolerance for plagiarism. If discovered, work will not be accepted, and further submissions from the writer denied.
- Poets retain full copyright to their work. Work may be submitted under a penname, but no internet handles, please. By accepting a poet’s work, we waive responsibility from any copyright infringement issues. Providing a date when your poem was written/revised, helps to further protect your work.
- Poets will be notified of the status of their submissions as soon as the editors have made their selections. Rest assured your work will be given careful consideration and treated with utmost respect. Due to the large volume of submissions, we cannot make individual comments about work that is not accepted.
- International submissions are welcome with an English translation alongside the original-language poem. The translator’s name should be included, if other than the submitting poet.
Pirene’s Fountain Liakoura Poetry Award
Poets whose work has been selected for publication in our journal during the past calendar year (with the exception of staff /featured poets) are automatically entered for the annual award. Our editors will each choose one poem from all of the selections. The five nominated poems will be sent "blind" to an outside editor/publisher for the final decision. The winning poet will be awarded a certificate and a $100 Amazon gift card via email.
Pushcart and “Best of the Net” Nominations
Editors select the best work published by PF during the year. This is open to all submitting and featured poets. Only previously unpublished poems will be considered—please indicate that in your submission. Nominated poets are notified after selections have been sent in.
We consider reviews for chapbooks and poetry collections. Reviewers must send a 100 word bio along with submission, and reviews must be no longer than 1000 words. Please send in body of email to: email@example.com
Post-Release Correction Policy
Poets have 5 days after release to advise us of any typos/required corrections or necessary changes. We will make corrections and reasonable changes 7-10 days after release. We only take the journal offline once. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
(Pirene’s Fountain Poetry Journal is a non-profit organization and does not offer remuneration.)